Maximum username length

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 30 15:02:56 CEST 2014

Franks Andy (RLZ) IT Systems Engineer wrote:
>   We’re going to attempt to pass a number of delimited variables through
> via the username field

  Dear god no.  This is a *terrible* idea.  It will cause global
warming, rickets, plagues, alien invasions, and help bring on the coming
apocalypse.

> and split them at the freeradius end, mostly to
> avoid rewriting the php in the captive portal to use more orthodox
> existing attributes.

  There's no good reason to push crap onto someone else.  Your laziness
just makes life harder for everyone else.

  If you care about your users, *don't* do this.

> Can someone confirm the maximum username field length? I can see in the
> RFCs that 63 is the recommended minimum nas length but there’s not much
> else I can see in there.

  A lot of equipment and systems won't handle more than 63 characters.

  This is a terrible, evil, disgusting idea.  RADIUS is full of enough
crap already without people deliberately adding more.