How to find if the LDAP server is not rechable

Adarsha S s.adarsha at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 13:10:57 CEST 2015

Hi,

I've a setup with freeradius-server-2.2.3 and Windows AD 2008 [LDAP
server]for authentication.
I need to implement fall back feature where if Windows AD server is not
reachable , I need to authenticate using  local database.

The problem I'm facing is :
When LDAP server is reachable and giving wrong password result is
RLM_MODULE_REJECT. LDAP server not reachable the result is RLM_MODULE_FAIL.

But for both the case reply code will be PW_AUTHENTICATION_REJECT.

So please guide me in how to differentiate LDAP server not reachability
from error due to wrong credentials.

Thanks,
Adarsha