Freeradius 3.0.7 and multiple buffered-sql servers - detail file issues

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 17 17:41:08 CEST 2015

On Apr 16, 2015, at 2:44 PM, Rygl Aleš <ales at rygl.net> wrote:
> I am trying to migrate the freeradius 2.2.5 to 3.0.7. The server is doing just Acounting request processing and is loading requests to MariaDB with radacct table on InnoDB engine allowing row level locking.  There are 128 detail files derived from Calling-Station-Id attribute using mod 128:

  Why?

  There shouldn't be a need to create 128 detail file writers / readers.  Version 2 was a little slow reading the detail files.  Version 3 is much faster, and more robust.

> 1. Bad file descriptor message. Looks like it is caused by track = yes config option. When switched to no, it dissapears. What is the problem here?

  I'm not sure.  The file descriptor should NOT be closed while it's being used.

  And for v3, you should set "track = yes".  It means that server re-starts don't cause re-reads of old accounting packets.

> 2. When the server is loaded with ~350 req/s, it is ok. When the load is ~1500 req/s, I can see tons of errors in the log file:
> Thu Apr 16 16:24:38 2015 : ERROR: (585809) detail.mobile: ERROR: Couldn't open file /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail.mobile/queue-58/detail-2015041616: Too many different filenames

  Don't configure 128 queues.  There shouldn't be a need to do that.