3.0.8 struct and function name changes

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 24 13:52:09 CEST 2015

On Apr 24, 2015, at 7:29 AM, unbeliever012000 <unbeliever012000 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I was surprised to find two changes in 3.0.8 which effect C module
> developers;
>
> config_items within the rad_request structure was renamed to config
>
> fr_connection_pool_delete was renamed to fr_connection_pool_free

  We do gradual cleanups of the source.

> I thought 3.0.7 had been tagged as stable and thus the variable and function
> names were locked to allow developers to migrate.

  No.

  We mean that the v3 can be used in production, and we're trying to avoid new features.

> For me this was not a
> problem, but it is worrying as it makes it more difficult to convince people
> with their own modules to migrate off of 2.x. Thus I am curious as to if
> this was a leak from 3.1.x where such changes should be expected? Or is
> 3.0.8 really the first stable release of 3.0.x and the previous update to
> the web site was in preparation for it?

  Or, we do cleanups of the source, because it makes sense.

  If you're writing your own module, I have to ask "why".

a) it's for your own internal use, and you don't intend to share it with anyone

b) it's useful for the wider community, but you haven't shared it with anyone

  In the case of (a), it's not really our problem.  We don't guarantee that FreeRADIUS remains compatible with proprietary extensions.

  In the case of (b), we suggest contributing the module back to the main release.  The module will then be maintained as part of normal releases.