Freeradius 3.0.8 Can't create UNIX socket and Too many open files

Rygl Aleš ales at rygl.net
Tue Apr 28 23:04:26 CEST 2015

Hello Alan

>   Again, that's likely a problem with the DB.
>
>   Don't tune FreeRADIUS.  Tune the DB.  It's the source of the problems.

Most of possisble config params of the DB is already tuned.
Innodb_flush_method, innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit, innodb_io_capacity,
binary logging is disabled...

>   Why are there 1M rows in the InnoDB table?  If they're historical, move
> them to a separate table.  Have one "live" session table, and
> another"historical" table for closed sessions.  Fix your schema so that it
> has the correct indices.

We have ~1M of records in radacct table and all of them are on-line sessions.
That's the problem. I am cleaning closed sessions every 20s, which removes ~2k
records to the "historical" table. Maybe some partitioning or data split could
help here.

>   No amount of poking FreeRADIUS will make the database run faster.  Any
> changes to FreeRADIUS just work around the issue.  They don't fix the
> issue.

I guess I am touching the limits of the DB here.

Regards
Ales