OS X Mavericks not connecting to Debian FreeRADIUS

Edward Ulrich email at edwardulrich.com
Mon Aug 10 21:57:08 CEST 2015

Following is an additional post for the thread I started this morning,
thank you..

Thank you for you help with my previous post.  I have some additional
questions also:

Question #1.  As for the RADIUS requests not getting to the server, I
have a question about the value of "ipaddr" in the "clients.conf" file.
All of the instructions that I have seen have been unclear about what
this value this should be set to specifically..  Should it be the IP
address of the computer hosting the Radius server (192.168.1.113), or
the IP address of the router (192.168.1.1), or some other value?  I have
tried all values and still get the same error message.  Note that I have
not yet set the ip address of the server computer to be static in the
"/etc/network/interfaces" file.  Following are the questions about this:

Question 1a:  What is the best value to use for the "ipaddr" variable in
"clients.conf"?  Such as the ip address of the server computer, ect..

Question 1b:  What is the best value to use for the "Radius Auth Server
Address" setting in the router (using DD-WRT)?  Presumably it is the
same value as 1a?

Question 1c:  How important is setting the IP address of the server
computer to be static while testing even though I am sure that the IP
address of the server computer is currently 192.168.1.113 for the time
being?

Question 1d:  What is the best source of information about this issue if
the answer is complex?

_____

Question #2. Version 2.1.12 of FreeRADIUS is the one that was installed
when I entered the "apt-get update" and "apt-get install freeradius"
commands.  What would be the biggest benefits of upgrading to a newer
version?  Presumably I would need to reconfigure from scratch if I
upgraded, am I correct?  I have a feeling my problems are elsewhere for
the time being if the user client computer is not connecting to the
server though.

_____

Question #3.  When you say "Users cannot manually configure their 802.1x
settings" on Mac computers starting with OS X Lion, do you mean that it
is mandatory to configure Mavericks using the XML method?  I'm currently
trying to configure the networking manually in the "Network > Wi-Fi"
section of the prefs by selecting "WPA2-Enterprise", then "EAP-TLS," and
it does seem to be taking all of the necessary information and it even
gives the name of the certificate as a pull-down option, however it then
says "invalid password" when I try to connect.

____

Question #4.  As for the certificates, they are being created using the
"sha1" method like you suggested (typed like that rather than "sha-1" if
that makes any difference.)  The "default_bits" are set to 2048.
Following is the command I used to create the DH file: "openssl
dhparam  -check  -text  -5  1024 -out  dh".  I have seen some
instructions that say to trim sections out of the certificates using a
text editor before using them with a Mac, would it be helpful to do that
at all?

Thanks for your help!