OS X Mavericks not connecting to Debian FreeRADIUS

Nick Lowe nick.lowe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:47:04 CEST 2015

> Look at the date of said online sources, and when they were last updated.
> If it's anything before last year, you can be guaranteed that they are out
> of date. FreeRADIUS makes *huge* strides in a year (and I know this because
> I first had exposure to FR 2.1.12 in 2013 and have found that the product
> has vastly improved since). Everyone I know uses the 'make' or 'bootstrap'
> commands in the /etc/raddb/certs directory... The makefile and the
> certificate configs (ca.cnf, server.cnf and client.cnf) have been regularly
> updated to the latest recommended configurations (amongst them using SHA1
> as the hashing algorithm and 2048 bits as key length).

Actually...

We all should be using SHA-256 and not SHA-1 for new installations.

Microsoft, Google and Mozilla are now deprecating the use of SHA-1 based
certificates:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/pki/archive/2013/11/12/sha1-deprecation-policy.
aspx

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com
/2014/09/gradually-sunsetting-sha-1.html

https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Problematic_Practices#SHA-1_Certificates

Also see:

https://wiki.terena.org/display/H2eduroam/EAP+Server+Certificate+considerations

The SHA-1 hash algorithm is now on the verge of practically being broken
(76/80 round collision already generated). See:
https://marc-stevens.nl/research/

It is likely that the same approach that was taken for MD5 will soon be
taken with SHA-1. We shouldn't be building up a technical debt by deploying
new certificates with this algorithm.

It will just cause pain down the line.

Regards,

Nick Lowe