Freeradius-Users Digest, Vol 124, Issue 27, Addition to the Re: OS X Mavericks not connecting to Debian FreeRADIUS Thread

Edward Ulrich email at edwardulrich.com
Thu Aug 13 09:07:08 CEST 2015

Ha ha!  I just realized I made a mistake in one of my postings.. I
shouldn’t have been confused about what the WAN IP is as opposed to the
LAN IP..  I forgot the WAN IP is the IP address for the internet
connection over the internet— the “WIDE” area network, as opposed to
“LOCAL” area network being the LAN of course.. For some reason it was in
my mind that it meant “WIRELESS” area network when I typed that message,
even though I should have known better.   So no wonder you were
face-palming themselves about that..  Also I did make another IP address
goof in an early posting as well, but I do think most of the other
points I made are valid.

Laugh if you want, but one other issue I was confused about with
potentially using the LAN address of the router is the fact that since
it is used to access the router admin page, I thought that perhaps it is
dedicated to only doing that and would have caused conflicts when used
for other purposes.  Like I said before, I think it would have been
helpful to have a wireless router example in the config file and for it
to mention the word LAN IP for that specific instance.  Normally trial
and error would clarify such issues, but the nature of FreeRAIDUS being
a chain where any misconfiguration along the way breaks the entire
process makes configuration a challenge.  I do know how to read the log
files and I try to use them the best that I can.

Anyway, as you can see, I’m not a career sys admin..  But I do know my
way around computers and I know Linux well enough.  I realize how deep
and complex FreeRADIUS can get, but I think I will eventually be able to
implement it just fine for my purposes.  You have been helpful so far
despite the ribbings.. ;-)

I’m determined to get a basic secure setup running.  I thank you for
your help so far.

Edward