Minimal radius proxy setup

Eugene Prokopiev enp at itx.ru
Wed Aug 19 10:05:51 CEST 2015

Hi,

I can't find good example for minimal radius proxy setup which looks
like as minimal radiusd.conf from THE FREE RADIUS TECHNICAL GUIDE, so
I tried to create it based on example from this guide:

listen {
    type   = proxy
    ipaddr = 10.0.0.10
    port   = 1645
}
home_server onyma {
    type = auth+acct
    ipaddr = 10.0.0.11
    secret = MySecret
    port   = 1812
    src_ipaddr = 10.0.0.10
}
client localhost {
    ipaddr = 10.0.0.10
    secret = MySecret
}

I tried to test it locally with 'radtest user password 10.0.0.10:1645
1 MySecret' but result is:

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 10.0.0.10 port 45436,
id=187, length=78
Invalid packet code 1 sent to a proxy port from home server 10.0.0.10
port 45436 - ID 187 : IGNORED

I tried to change type from proxy to auth, but in this case error is:

WARNING: Empty authorize section.  Using default return values.
ERROR: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) found for the request:
Rejecting the user
Failed to authenticate the user.

I need to send request to another radius server instead of defining
local authorize section, so I tried to add this lines:

home_server_pool onyma {
    type = fail-over
    home_server = onyma
}
realm "ONYMA" {
    auth_pool = onyma
    acct_pool = onyma
}

The result is the same.

So, what is the right way to proxy requests to another radius server?

--
WBR,
Eugene Prokopiev