Some Android smartphones send only accounting request

Nick Lowe nick.lowe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 16:22:16 CEST 2015

No, it is not only relevant where you have more than one AP.

That attribute is often needed if roaming from one BSS to another BSS takes
place or where a new session is created based on cached auth state for the
same BSS.
The sessions are related to the same EAP authentication, yet are accounted
for independently, and therefore need to be linked - that is done by an
Acct-Multi-Session-Id attribute.

At the time that that RFC was written, APs typically did not include more
than one radio or offer support for VAPs.

If your AP is accounting for a new session but where it is related to a
previous one via the same auth, it must include an Acct-Multi-Session-Id
for you to be able to correlate these.

That sounds like a Meraki limitation/bug if they are not generating and
including this attribute and you should report it to the vendor.

Regards,

Nick