Using DHCP for Radius on a Cable Modem Plant

John Alcock john at alcock.org
Fri Aug 21 22:16:46 CEST 2015

What I have in mind is based on some parameter in the SQL database, it will
return the correct ip pool and other options.

For example:

A Non-Pay would get an IP from the wall-garden IP-Pool.
Also, with the exhaustion of public routeable ip's, I may want users to get
an ip from my NAT Pool. Other users may get an ip address from the public
pool.

So the general idea is this.

Client comes up and makes DHCP Request to DHCP Server.
DHCP Server makes request to Radius Server using mac address
Radius Server checks SQL
SQL returns correct DHCP Options back to Radius (IP Pool, tftp, dns, etc)
Radius sends DHCP options to DHCP Server.
DHCP Server sends correct information back to clients.

At least that is how I see it?  Sound about right?

John