confusion about radius.log entries

Winders, Timothy A twinders at southplainscollege.edu
Wed Aug 26 22:24:28 CEST 2015

There is no session timeout setting.  The idle timeout was set to 5 minutes.  I have changed that to 10 hours.  This should help clients, especially phones and tablets, not have to reauth everytime the device goes to sleep.

I am still seeing some clients with the same continuous reauthentication pattern.  Most seem to be OK after upgrading from FR 3.0.7 to 3.0.9.  I know that makes no sense.  I put it out there for information only.

We do have the Cisco settings for "Client Load Balancing" and "Client Band Select" enabled.

I do see my account with multiple repeated auth attempts (all show Login OK) in short periods of time.  This appears to be when I was moving across campus or within earshot of multiple Aps.  I’m not sure why multiple auths would be showing up in radius.log in that situation, though.

Still seems like a bad controller setting.  I may try disabling the cisco options mentioned above tonight and see what happens tomorrow…

--
Tim Winders
Associate Dean of Information Technology