Using FreeRADIUS with SQL backend and advanced configuration

Marius Flage marius at flage.org
Wed Dec 9 22:03:32 CET 2015

Hi!

I've just set up FreeRADIUS with SQL backend and dynamic VLAN
assignment, and it works great. I'm using it to put different users into
different VLANs based on their username/password, using EAP. However, I
want to expand on this to be able to put the clients into another VLAN
if also the calling station MAC address matches.

If I did this using the flat file "users", I'd suspect it'd be something
like this:

testuser Cleartext-Password := "example", Calling-Station-Id :=
"A0-A8-CD-60-AF-C2"
                Tunnel-Medium-Type := "IEEE-802",
                Tunnel-Private-Group-ID := 3,
                Tunnel-Type := "VLAN"

testuser Cleartext-Password := "example"
                Tunnel-Medium-Type := "IEEE-802",
                Tunnel-Private-Group-ID := 4,
                Tunnel-Type := "VLAN"

The theory here is that if the user "testuser" logs in with the password
"example" from the device with MAC address "a0:a8:cd:60:af:c2", then he
should be placed into the VLAN 3, if not, into VLAN 4. Is this possible
with FreeRADIUS and specifically when using the SQL backend?

--
Marius