Simultaneous EAP-TLS and PEAP-MSCHAPv2 (machine/user authentication)

Danner, Mearl jmdanner at samford.edu
Sat Dec 26 19:21:24 CET 2015

> I think parts of our conversation move towards a non-productive
> direction; probably because I am using different terminology (e.g.
> "machine authentication") due to my unfamiliarity with the topic.
>
> Before going ahead let me once again describe the setup I want:
>
> 1.) Client presents a certificate signed by the CA -> authentication
> should succeed ("machine authentication"). (I thought this would best be
> done via EAP-TLS but not sure)

If the client is configured with a cert and to use TTLS then freeradius will use that. The radius server does not tell the client which method to use.

> 2.) If the client does NOT have a client certificate signed by the CA
> installed it should query for username/password ("user authentication")
> exactly as in my current setup. Authentication should succeed via
> PEAP-MSCHAPv2 if correct credentials are presented.

If you have a certificate the client will be need to be configured for TTLS. If not the client/supplicant will be configured for PEAP. I'll repeat, the radius server responds to the method configured in the client/supplicant. It is all a client configuration issue. The client configuration determines the authentication method, not the radius server.