home_server status_check and radsec

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Dec 29 22:13:54 CET 2015

On Dec 29, 2015, at 3:52 PM, Mark Moseley <moseleymark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since the home_server is by necessity set to 'tcp', radiusd errors out with
> a message that 'status_check' must be set to 'none', if you try to set it
> to anything.

  Because TCP is a reliable protocol.  You don't need to do status checks.  If the connection is up, the home server is alive.

> Does that mean it's not possible to do failover with radsec proxies?

  It should be possible to do fail-over.  If all of the TCP connections are down, the home server is down.

> I've
> got a home_server pool set up with two nodes. When I take down the
> first-listed home_server with tcpdump running, the freeradius on the
> 'client' side just keeps trying to hit the now-disabled server and never
> attempts the secondary. Presumably I'm missing something but google is no
> help so far.

  It should do fail-over when it determines that the first home server is down.

  Do you have a simple configuration which reproduces this?

  And... as always... the debug output?