radwho gives an empty output

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Feb 13 00:09:48 CET 2015

On Feb 12, 2015, at 5:24 PM, Mert Uzun <uzunme at itu.edu.tr> wrote:
> To mention my work detailly, on GNS3, I have one c7200 cisco router as NAS(for administration access to router only, not to provide an internet connection) and a freeradius server on ubuntu server 14.04. I configured my NAS to send accounting update per one minute. In /var/log/freeradius/radacct/(ip of the nas)/detail-(date), I can read a txt file where some accounting infos are written but when I issue "radwho" command, I can not see anything but the titles for non-written accounting details.

   Read the debug output, and look for the “radutmp” module.  What does it say when the server receives an  Accounting-Request?

> I also issued freeradius -X command and got "ready to process request", my server can properly process authentication requests also.

  The point is to read the output *after* it says “Ready to process requests”.  That tells you what it’s doing when it processes requests.

> However, I'm not completely unsuccessful to get any output from radwho. I had done some configurations on freeradius and managed to get proper outputs with radwho on the same topology and system. Unfortunately, my server got disfunctioned when I had tried to configure it for active directory authentication. I could only recovered it by re-installing then I lost and forgot what I did to use radwho.

  You should use “git” for revision control on the raddb directory.  It helps a lot.

> I can't remember what I did to get radwho output before I lost whole configuration and what I can't notice now.

  If you send Accounting packets which have useful session data in them, radwho will “just work”.