Problem - Duplicating IPs

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Feb 17 13:26:39 CET 2015

On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:42 PM, Rui Ribeiro <ruyrybeyro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance, but are you implying DHCP is keeping up with
> accounting data?

  Did I mention DHCP?  No.

> I tried to write a script to identify users via a web page to give some
> accounting stats and quickly reached the conclusion it was not real time

  Accounting”update”  packets are usually sent every 5-10 minutes.  Accounting packets for session start / stop are sent immediately.

> So the idea I have is whilst accounting is very useful, it is not exactly
> real-time, correct?

  No.  The session stop packet should be sent immediately.

  Put a little bit of thought into this.  It helps.  Would we be shipping an IP Pool module that handed out duplicate IPs for *everyone*?  Or, are other networks fine, and yours is crap?  Which possibility is more likely?