rlm_graphite?

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Feb 18 20:32:51 CET 2015

> On 18 Feb 2015, at 05:45, Matthew Newton <mcn4 at LEICESTER.AC.UK> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 08:11:26AM +0000, Adam Bishop wrote:
>> On 18 Feb 2015, at 02:27, Arran Cudbard-Bell <a.cudbardb at freeradius.org> wrote:
>>> The module would implement the pickle protocol, and use a connection pool for TCP Connection caching.
>>
>> Pushing to Graphite wonder if some sort of message queue (AMQP?)
>> might be more useful in general - graphite (and many other
>> things, like Gralyog2 and log stash) should be able to pull
>> messages from the queue.

I'd rather do a 0MQ module TBH. From what i've seen at customer sites, high-speed distributed pub/sub models with no central brokers/routers/bridges, better fit requirements for message passing.

It may be better to attempt to separate the modules that do marshalling/unmarshalling from the ones that handle transport.

> The other evening I wrote a logstash config to read and process
> detail files, which seems to work well. I'm planning to tidy it up
> and bundle it with a kibana dashboard and elasticsearch mapping
> for inclusion.

Similar functionality to splunk, though i'm not sure splunk can output graphs, and it's not free of course.

> The logstash config will then allow use of the graphite output of
> course, rather than feeding into elasticsearch.
>
> That said, an rlm_graphite might be useful for those who want to
> purely make graphs, without the cool log processing side that
> elasticsearch gives you as well.

It would also be considerably faster. Don't suppose you want to contribute that config? :)

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team