RADIUS Monitoring tool

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Feb 25 19:44:05 CET 2015

> On 25 Feb 2015, at 12:29, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> we use NAGIOS and have some local eapol_test scripts
> formonitor/alerts and use'monit' to check status of the radius
> process and restart it when dead

You don't need a monitoring solution. Most NAS will fail over
quite happily once the server stops responding.

Check the return code of the failing module and use the
do_not_respond policy.

sql {
	fail = 1
}
if (fail) {
	do_not_respond
}

Do that for all modules critical to authentication.

It's very rare that responding with an Access-Reject on module
failure is an appropriate action. Unfortunately changing the
behaviour in the default config would be very disruptive.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team