Problem with radiusd and vmware?

Robert Graham robert_graham at uhaul.com
Wed Jan 7 17:38:52 CET 2015

I have a problem that I cannot figure out.

I have installed RedHat, CentOS, Fedora 20 & 21 and FR 2.x.x and the new
version 3.x.x, all of which in VM Workstation. I have internet access
inside each of the VM's, inbound and outbound.

Installed the Easysoft UnixODBC driver and the generic driver. Can connect
through ISQL and pull data manually.

The issue is only when RADIUSD -X is running that it will not make a
connection to the SQL database. Same error on every single VM machine and
they are all manually connectable through ISQL.

The configuration message says that the config is ok when I run the check
on it.

Have Wireshark running and does not show any traffic from the RADIUSD
server, but if I open up a browser in any of the Linux, shows traffic..

rlm_sql (sql): Driver rlm_sql_unixodbc (module rlm_sql_unixodbc) loaded
and linked
rlm_sql (sql): Attempting to connect to database "gensql"
rlm_sql (sql): Initialising connection pool
   pool {
   	start = 5
   	min = 4
   	max = 10
   	spare = 3
   	uses = 0
   	lifetime = 0
   	cleanup_delay = 5
   	idle_timeout = 60
   	spread = no
   }
rlm_sql (sql): Opening additional connection (0)
rlm_sql_unixodbc: Connection failed
rlm_sql_unixodbc: Socket destructor called, closing socket
rlm_sql (sql): Opening connection failed (0)
rlm_sql (sql): Removing connection pool
/etc/raddb/mods-enabled/sql[47]: Instantiation failed for module "sql"
[root at 2nCSSw9999 ~]#

Configuration appears to be OK.