checkrad and db based simultaneous use checks

Bill Schoolfield bill at billmax.com
Mon Jan 26 22:49:21 CET 2015

Hello All

A client of mine just asked that we limit active sessions per user to 1
(e.g simultaneous use checking). Radutmp was already configured but I
disabled it in favor of the checks via the SQL module. Things look to be
working but I'm concerned as the radacct table has lots of (possibly
old/bogus) records with no stop info that I assume will cause the check
to return false negatives.

We also configured checkrad and it is working. My question is this: how
exactly is checkrad used? Is it used exclusively or in concert with the
SQL module checks? Will I need to cleanup the radacct table or will
checkrad "save" me? I have reviewed all the documents and configuration
I can find but checkrad use is still a bit of a mystery to me.

Bill