udp sockets and proxy servers

Sergey Komarov sergey.komaroff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 09:23:43 CEST 2015

Hello!

> Hmmm, well that's problematic.  Could you open a GitHub issue.
>
> -Arran

Hello Arran. Well, I'm not a developer actually I will try to post it to
GitHub in case my credentials is ok for that...

> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 19:48:25 +0200
> From: Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
>         <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org>
> Subject: Re: udp sockets and proxy servers
>
> On Jul 20, 2015, at 7:15 PM, Sergey Komarov <sergey.komaroff at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm tring to run 3.0.9 configuration with about ~1500 clients and home
> > servers (as I have about 1500 WLCs in the network and I try to proxy CoA
> > packet to WLCs via radius).
> >
> > Radius server tries to open as many sockets as possible doing like that:
> >
> > Info:  ... adding new socket proxy address * port 46527
> > Info:  ... adding new socket proxy address * port 38003
> >
> > It happens slowly or fast and it depends of load as I see it... And then
> > after about 256 sockets server quits from running with error:
>
>   Is that with TLS?  Or TCP?  We didn't predict that people would use 256
> or more clients with CoA and TCP.
>
>   But it *should* work for UDP.  There's no reason for it to open many
> proxy sockets.  It just needs one or two.
>
>   Alan DeKok.

Hello Alan! The case is that I'm using UDP only, no any TLS now, just
common pap/sql and Acc Req/Accept/CoA Proxy... SQL sockets is ok and no
overflow there (it even close some connections to DB when don't need it).
But it looks like FR tries to create as many sockets as home servers and it
happen slowly - depends on load. When I limit to 200 home servers - it
stopped to create sockets at number about 153... In case it overcome 256 it
drops soon with that error...

Best Regards, Serge Komaroff