FreeRADIUS and Active Directory Integration

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 24 21:44:21 CEST 2015

On Jul 24, 2015, at 2:24 PM, Scott Pickles via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.  I don't want to down play at all the amount of effort you put into this.  It's clear that you put in tons and tons of effort and I truly appreciate it.  Even more so, I appreciate your willingness to respond to my inquiries on this list because quite frankly you don't have to.  I did read the docs, and I can understand how you're coming to the conclusion that I don't because of what I've been posting as of late.  The truth is I've been working really hard at this and can't get it to work so I apologize if some of how I'm coming across is out of frustration.

  Ask questions.  Simple questions.  *Good* questions.

>  I'm not lazy.  I've put 40-60 hours into this so far, and have rebuilt several times.  I'm to the point where I make one change, start the server, check for errors.  If I'm good, I make the next change and so on.  So here is what this has all come down to for me:  I need to authenticate VPN users against AD.  I want to use LDAP to check group, and ntlm_auth to check password.  Trust me, I have read the docs but this is all new to me and I haven't been able to put it all together in context.

  What context are you looking for?  The main freeradius "doc" page also points to this:

http://networkradius.com/doc/

  The "Technical Guide" has a basic introduction to RADIUS, and how FreeRADIUS works.

>  I've been looking on Google to find out how others have perhaps put it all together.

  I would suggest avoiding google, and third party sites.  They are almost always old, broken, or wrong.

>  I learn some things from reading that stuff, and really what I'm after is an understanding of how it all works so I can configure it myself rather than just follow a preconfigured method that someone else used and UNDERSTAND what is happening.

  That's why we recommend reading the debug output.  It tells you what's happening.  A packet comes in, and is processed through a series of rules.  It is all described in excruciating detail in the debug output.  In fact, there's so much detail that people sometimes ignore it...

>  FreeRADIUS is obviously very powerful and with all of its features I'm looking forward to learning and understanding it better so I can make more use of it as time progresses.  Going forward, I will be much more specific regarding what I have done so far, provide documentation of my configuration, provide clear and concise information regarding what I'm looking to accomplish, and with your expert assistance I think I'll eventually get to where I want to be.  Again, thanks for all of your help and hanging in there with me.  It is truly appreciated!!!!

  Please suggest *where* else we can post the links so that you will find the "unlang" and "huntgroups" documentation.  Really.  It was one of your complaints, and I can't for the life of me figure out where else it should go.  It is rather obsessively documented in the configs, "man" pages, web pages, etc.