unavailable database makes freeradius 3.0.9 server unresponsive

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Jul 27 20:44:35 CEST 2015

> On 27 Jul 2015, at 11:20, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
>
> On Jul 27, 2015, at 11:06 AM, Michal Tomaszewski <Michal.Tomaszewski at cca.pl> wrote:
>> When database is going down server hangs on first processed request and stops processing any further requests.
>> There is no connection timeout nor any other timeout to database request.
>
>  That may happen, especially when the client library for the back-end database locks.
>
>> In freeradius 2.x when database was not available server responded with Reject until database was on.
>> In freeradius 3.0.9 server stops responding to any requests, even when database comes up.
>
>  Hmm... that's bad.
>
>> Fri Jul 24 17:44:34 2015 : Debug: rlm_redis (redis): Reconnecting (3)
>>
>> Fri Jul 24 17:44:34 2015 : Error: rlm_redis (redis): Problems with redisConnect('10.113.13.245', 6379), Connection refused
>
>  That's the problem code.  It's something Arran changed recently...

All my work on rlm_redis has been in v3.1.x.

The only change I made in that file recently was to rename fr_connection_del to fr_connection_close

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/commits/v3.0.x/src/modules/rlm_redis/rlm_redis.c

and something with consting in the argument tokeniser, which is unlikely to have broken this.

In the connection pool the changes I made were to separate out the reconnection logic into a separate function.

The additional calls to it should never have beed made, as nothing set 'needs_reconecting'.

IIRC some changes were backported from v3.1.x for the MRU connection re-use pattern which could have caused this issue.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team