Freeradius Clustering for HA

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Tue Jun 2 21:14:24 CEST 2015

Am Dienstag, 2. Juni 2015, 16:08:15 schrieb Leandro:
> Hi  Freeradius users , Im planning to move my Radius service to a
> virtualized enviroment so I can create a server cluster.
> Is there any official / unofficial documentation about freeradius
> clustering for HA to start reading ?
> Maybe some feature for primary and secondary radius support or F5 load
> balancer integration, etc.
> Regards,
> Leandro.

Basically building a HA cluster of RADIUS servers is a bad idea. The protocol
supports the use of multiple RADIUS servers. So there is no need for HA. HA
causes a lot of pain if you want to do it really right.

Set up two (or more) radius servers and configure both IP addresses in your
RADIUS clients.

If you really need a load balancer, it still is no HA cluster. Just set up two
(or more) RADIUS servers and hode them behind a virtual IP address of the load
balancer.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Michael Schwartzkopff

--