Hardware Requirement for FreeRadius 3.0.8

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 5 03:18:45 CEST 2015

On Jun 4, 2015, at 8:10 PM, Sunil Kulkarni -X (sunikulk - PERSISTENT SYSTEMS INC at Cisco) <sunikulk at cisco.com> wrote:
> I am new for FreeRadius. I am using FreeRadius 3.0.8 version.
> I wanted to know following:
>
> 1.       Is there any hardware specific document and post available?

  No.  FreeRADIUS uses a tiny amount of memory and CPU power.

 My iPhone is more powerful than servers 6 years ago.  Those servers ran RADIUS systems with 10s of 1000's of users.

> 2.       Is there any performance benchmark related document?

  See the Wiki.

  Realistically, if you have less than 100K users, any $2K server will be fine.  In fact, it will be idle 75% of the time.

  If you have about a million users, the overall network architecture matters more than individual systems.  Fail-over, HA, etc. are all critical.  RADIUS CPU / memory / disk is less relevant.