on freeradius 3.0.0

Ben Humpert ben at an3k.de
Sat Jun 6 16:58:24 CEST 2015

The client certificate needs extendedKeyUsage = clientAuth and you
need to install it for the current user if you select user
authentication in the 802.1x authentication page in windows NIC. If
you want machine authentication you need to install it for the local
machine.
The subject DN for the client certificate can be anything you want,
however you need the CN of the client certificate match the user name
entry in FR user file - or you configure windows to use a different
user name but then you get a popup asking for that name every time you
disable and re-enable 802.1x or manually disable and re-enable the
NIC.