radiusd debug understanding help needed (EAP session for state 0x... did not finish)

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Fri Jun 26 08:05:44 CEST 2015

Hi,

> TBH I was parroting Alan's analysis of the RFC. If you don't agree that 1020 is the minimum EAP MTU, then you're more than welcome to continue that conversation with him :)
>
> RFC 3748 - Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
>
> Section 3.1 assumption [4].
>
>        EAP methods can assume a minimum EAP MTU of 1020 octets in the
>        absence of other information.  EAP methods SHOULD include support
>        for fragmentation and reassembly if their payloads can be larger
>        than this minimum EAP MTU.
>
> Taking into account the overhead of EAP-TLS which is 6 or 10 bytes, depending on whether it's the first in a sequence of fragments and the TLS Message Length is included.
>
> In the absence of link MTU information the maximum TLS fragment size would be 1010 bytes in the first packet, and 1014 in subsequent ones.
>
> If the supplicant did have link MTU information available, then RFC 3748 does hint that the supplicant could send larger packets.
>
> IEEE 802.1X-2001 is silent on EAP fragments, other than describing the Framed-MTU attribute, which represents the EAP MTU between the Supplicant and Authenticator.

Right; there's next to always a Framed-MTU available, so this limit
doesn't "usually" hurt in real life.

Then again, if it gets filtered out, then the server should ship with a
sane default, right? Looks like the current default isn't:

raddb/mods-available/eap -> tls-common: fragment_size = 1024

(and the preceding documentation text speaks about "half of 4096")

Here's a pull request:

https://github.com/restena-sw/freeradius-server/pull/1

Greetings,

Stefan Winter