radiusd debug understanding help needed (EAP session for state 0x... did not finish)

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri Jun 26 20:48:51 CEST 2015

> On Jun 26, 2015, at 2:31 PM, Zeus Panchenko <zeus at ibs.dn.ua> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 26, 2015, at 2:05 AM, Stefan Winter <stefan.winter at restena.lu> wrote:
>>> Then again, if it gets filtered out, then the server should ship with a
>>> sane default, right? Looks like the current default isn't:
>>>
>>> raddb/mods-available/eap -> tls-common: fragment_size = 1024
>>

> please, what am I missing? I configured fragment_size in
> raddb/mods-available/eap and raddb/mods-available/tls but still unable
> to see any Framed-MTU in debug ... why?

I'm going to bullet point this for simplicity:

* fragment_size controls TLS Fragment size sent *TO* the supplicant *FROM* the RADIUS server.

* Framed-MTU is optional. Your NAS doesn't need to send it.

* The size of the fragments *FROM* the supplicant *TO* the RADIUS server are controlled by the supplicant, which it should infer from the link MTU.

* The size of the fragments from your supplicant, are likely correct for the link MTU.

* Your NAS is likely discarding packets from your supplicant because it's broken, or the network between your NAS and the RADIUS server is broken, and not doing UDP fragment transfer/reassembly properly.

What you should do:

1. Provide packet captures from the supplicant.

2. Provide packet captures from the port on your NAS connected to the supplicant.

3. Provide packet captures from the uplink of your NAS, on which RADIUS traffic is sent.

4. Provide packet captures from the RADIUS server.

We can then tell you where the problem lies for certain.

Other things you should do:

1. Work with your NAS vendor for a fix.

2. Provide the make and model of your NAS so the vendor can be named and shamed.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team