Trying to understand change in behaviour between 2.1.12 and 2.2.5 (ok = reject) or Bug?

Timothy White timwhite88 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 08:39:43 CEST 2015

Hey everyone

I'm the main developer behind the Grase hotspot project, that
internally uses Freeradius and Coova Chilli for a Captive portal
hotspot.

On my testing system, Freeradius recently upgraded to 2.2.5, which
seems to have some strange new behaviour with my configs.

I'm using the below snippit to get custom reply messages for rejections.
authorize {
    logintime {
        reject = 1
    }
    if(reject){
            update reply {
                    Reply-Message := "Your are not allowed to login at
this time"
            }
            ok = reject

This was working nicely in 2.1.12, detecting when the logintime module
had returned a reject code, and then updating the Reply-Message with a
nicer message. I've been doing this since at least 2012 without
problems. I also use this for many other sections to return custom
Reply-Messages when rejecting a user.

However, in 2.2.5, it appears to be ignoring the ok = reject part, and
it sends back an Accept-Accept with the Reply-Message, instead of an
Access-Reject.

Complete configs are available at
https://github.com/GraseHotspot/grase-conf-freeradius/blob/master/freeradius/sites-available/default.grase
(these configs have an extra "reject" under each ok = reject,
something I tried which seems to have made no difference)

My reading of the changelogs doesn't reveal anything obvious to me
about a change in behaviour, so I'm starting to wonder if it's a bug?

Has anyone else come across this problem/change?

Regards

Tim