PAM authentication with Eduroam

Kristoffer Dalby kradalby at kradalby.no
Mon Jun 29 15:20:36 CEST 2015

Hi

I am researching the possibility of using freeradius/eduroam as
authentication backend through PAM for SSH.

This far in my research, i have run into a few questions that i cant
quite find the correct answer to.

Currently i cannot understand if the PAM module is able to handle the
password as a hash, or if it is able to use secure communication such as
EAP-TLS.

Also, as eduroam is a hierarchy of radius servers, where the
authentication request is forwarded until it reaches the right server,
it requires the credentials are encrypted so only the user and the
correct server can "see" them. I do quite understand if this is even
possible to achieve from the PAM side of my use case.

Can anyone provide some clarification on these cases? My English is not
the best, so if my explanations is hard to understand, please let me
know, and i will try again.

--
Kristoffer Dalby
Summer intern