ldapi:// with path

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Jun 30 23:19:28 CEST 2015

Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:

>> On Jun 30, 2015, at 4:54 PM, Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> wrote:
>>
>> Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>>> If the user specifies:
>>>
>>> 	server = 'ldap://example.org'
>>> 	port = 1300
>>>
>>> They would (and did) wonder why the server was still attempting to connect on port 389.
>>
>> Hmm, I'm inclined to just spit out an error message in this case clearly
>> recommending to add the port number to the LDAP URL.
>
> Which we can't do in v3.0.x because it would break people's configurations.

It's quite a simple change which you could announce clearly.

> What are your arguments for URL support when specifying servers?

First of all:
It's required to work for LDAPI (which I use a lot together with SASL/EXTERNAL).

LDAP URLs also have everything in one parameter.

Example:

ldaps://ldap.example.com:9999 tells you to talk TLS before LDAP to host
ldap.example.com and port 9999 all in one line.

In web2ldap I even use LDAP URL extensions so you can construct a bookmark for
specifying to use StartTLS extended operation.

Ciao, Michael.