PAP auth fails on new install/config of freeradius v 2.1.12

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 6 00:09:37 CET 2015

On Mar 5, 2015, at 6:02 PM, John Williams <jwill911 at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the debug output freeradius –X I see the “WARNING: Please update your
> configuration and remove ‘Auth-Type = Local’”

  You’re using “User-Password” in the configuration.  Don’t do that.  It’s been deprecated and documented as bad practice for about 10 years now.

  Use “Cleartext-Password”  as the “known good” password for the user.

> [files] users: Matched entry t5admin at line 86

  That entry is wrong.  Fix it.

> No User-Password or CHAP-Password attribute in the request.

  That’s a useful message.

  You can’t authenticate a user when there’s no User-Password in the request.  Fix that, too.