rlm_redis Module -> only "short" Return Values allowed?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 10 11:12:32 CET 2015

On Mar 10, 2015, at 6:06 AM, tom greisch <tom.greisch at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi everybody,i have compiled Freeradius Version 2.2.5 on a Debian 8 Testmaschine with experimental modules because i want to use Redis for caching AD User Groups.Redis seems to be very cool for caching AD User Groups because it is so extrem fast!

  I’d suggesting using 3.0.  The server caches LDAP groups internally.  Fast, and more flexible.

> My Problem:
> Everything works fine if "only" (about) 1000 Characters are returned. See Example 1. The second Example shows the Result of the Redis Get Request with about 1030 Characters which fails with an error Message (see Example 2)

  Yes.  Version 2 can’t really handle long strings.  This is due to a limitation of RADIUS, and of the v2 design.  Version 3 is better.

> Man unlang says:a)finally assigned to a variable only 253 characters allowed. -> I do not assign a Variable finally. It is inside of an if condition.b)8000 characters should be allowed as a string length (if not finally assigned). c) Man unlang says also: However, the output of that SQL query should be no more than 253 characters in length <- Is this the Problem?
>
> My Question:1. Is the Error Message a Limitation from Freeradius or is it a limitation from the rlm_redis Module?

  Redis is saying that the server didn’t give it enough space to write the data.