How to use rewrite.called_station_id IN dynamic clients authorize section

James Wood james.wood at purplewifi.com
Thu Mar 26 16:16:27 CET 2015

Hi Ben

On our back end, we have a list of allowed MACs (Called-Station-Id's).

When the radius auth requst comes in, only ones that match are dynamically allowed, else we just do not reply and ignore the request.

We only support a certain list of approved wifi equipment that we've tested to work with our solution, Cisco, Ruckus, Aerohive, HP etc etc. The MAC that we check against is the MAC that we know their kit will be sending the request with. We do not try to modify our Radius to accept all types, only ones we know work correctly and send the correct fields.

This issue has arisen because one piece of kit we're trying to support works perfectly apart from the fact it is sending the Called-Station-Id value without any delimiters, so I was simply asking what's the best way to handle this in FreeRadius, because everything else we support sends in the AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF format, which matches the format we store in our DB.

Hope that clarifies it.

I still have the same problem though. In the dynamic-clients file, I am trying to use rewrite.called_station_id straight after authorize { but it's not working. Is this because I am having to use raw:Called-Station-Id instead of just Called-Station-Id ?

Thanks

James