Best practices for logging in production environment?

Mohamed Lrhazi Mohamed.Lrhazi at georgetown.edu
Thu Mar 26 22:12:11 CET 2015

Deployed 3.x in production the morning... and all went fine.. Thank you
guys!

I guess being worried of performance issues, I enabled very little
logging..., just linelog, with the following config:

messages {
                default = "Unknown packet type %{Packet-Type}"

                Access-Request = "%S: %{reply:Packet-Type}: u=%{User-Name}
cis=%{Calling-Station-Id} cds=%{Called-Station-Id}
pip=%{Packet-Src-IP-Address} nip=%{NAS-IP-Address} n=%{NAS-Identifier}"
                #Access-Challenge = "Sent challenge: u=%{User-Name}
s=%{%{request:Calling-Station-Id}:-UnknownCSID}"
        }

Of course, when a user is rejected, all I have is some data about where
they came from, but no hints as to why we rejected them....

How do you guys log in production settings? any examples highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Mohamed.