Fetching users from external source

mlstfr at ntcomputer.de mlstfr at ntcomputer.de
Mon May 11 16:55:47 CEST 2015

Hello freeradius users,

I am using freeradius2 on OpenWRT (having very little resources to
operate), which is working fine. Now I'm trying to load users (usernames
+ passwords) from an external source for authentication in a guest
network - the external source is another server which will be running a
web interface and database to configure guest accounts. My approach
would be to use wget/curl for fetching the users from the server
(wrapped in a script), which allows the server to format the user list
in a way freeradius understands it.

How can I configure freeradius to execute the script on startup and use
its stdout to later authenticate users against it? Of course, if there
is another (better) approach on how to fetch the users, I would be happy
to hear about it :)

Also, guest accounts will be modified while freeradius is running. I
need a way to inform freeradius (using SIGHUP?) to reload the user list
from the server. Do you have a recommendation on how to achieve this in
real-time?

Thank you for your help!