IP Pool from Freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu May 28 15:12:36 CEST 2015

On May 28, 2015, at 8:33 AM, manman <mbaldov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Reading about "_ippool/_sqlippool" I've found many issues (for example a
> bug that assign double IP).

  No.  The "assign double IP" problem happens because FreeRADIUS assumes that the NAS works properly.  If the NAS doesn't work properly, then duplicate IPs can be assigned.

  i.e. FreeRADIUS sends a Session-Timeout of 3600 to the NAS.  The NAS is SUPPOSED to kick the user off after an hour.  So after an hour, FreeRADIUS assumes that the user is kicked off.

  If the NAS is broken, it may let the user stay on the network after the hour is up.  The only solution to this problem is to buy a NAS that works.

> Are there same problem with the new version of FreeRadius (3.x) ?

  Buggy NASes exist.  No amount of poking FreeRADIUS can fix a buggy NAS.