Radius data counting questions

Oliver Paget oliver at hostednetwork.net.au
Tue Nov 10 07:17:36 CET 2015

Hi All :)

I've been devving with freeradius with mysql for my DSL infrastructure (FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.12, for host x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, built on Oct  3 2012 at 01:22:51) It is being sent 64 byte accounting packets from a cisco router, aka my dev LNS.
I have been trying to find a viable method for counting data for my test LNS but I have noticed this behaviour.

To get the total data used for a user I simply sum(AcctOutputOctets) to find the total amount of data transferred for that user ever. When I query the DB a second time an hour later, sometimes the value is less than the previous time.

Can somebody confirm for me that this is either broken or intended as im not sure I am knowledgeable enough to determine whether freeradius has a specific reason for this.

Cheers, ojx