git issues

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Nov 17 20:05:56 CET 2015

Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> writes:

> On Nov 17, 2015, at 12:42 PM, David Peterson <davidp at wirelessconnections.net> wrote:
>>
>> Which 3.x branch should I be using?  I checked out 3.0.x and get this error
>>
>> root at sc-daloradius:/usr/src/freeradius-server# make install
>> INSTALL raddb/
>> mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/local/etc/raddb/’: File exists
>> raddb/all.mk:69: recipe for target '/usr/local/etc/raddb/' failed
>> make: *** [/usr/local/etc/raddb/] Error 1
>
>   Which OS are you using?
>
>   I have *no* idea how that error occurs.  All of the build rules are correct so far as I can tell.

It's simple to provoke an error like that.  All you need to do is to
create a *file* named /usr/local/etc/raddb

See:

 bjorn at canardo:~$ mkdir /tmp/foo
 bjorn at canardo:~$ install -d -m 755 /tmp/foo/
 bjorn at canardo:~$ touch /tmp/bar
 bjorn at canardo:~$ install -d -m 755 /tmp/bar/
 install: cannot create directory ‘/tmp/bar/’: File exists

I cannot explain why anyone would want to do that, though :)

Bjørn