Failed binding to authentication address

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Nov 26 16:27:12 CET 2015

On Nov 26, 2015, at 10:22 AM, Federico Olivieri <lvrfrc87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I stop the service and I run freeradius -xxx the message is:
> Thu Nov 26 15:14:25 2015 : Info: Ready to process requests.

  Yes... the point of testing is to KEEP running it in debugging mode.

> then, I start radius

  Why?

> and when I try to do radtest I get this error:
> rad_recv: Access-Reject packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 1812, id=126,
> length=20

  That's a reject.  If the server was still running in debugging mode, you would see WHY it was rejecting the user.

> Looking into a second debug I can see:
> Thu Nov 26 15:15:06 2015 : Error: Failed binding to authentication address
> * port 1812: Address already in use
> Thu Nov 26 15:15:06 2015 : Error: /etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf[240]: Error
> binding to port for 0.0.0.0 port 1812

  Because you started the server in daemon mode.

> What I'm doing wrong? For me is normal that the port is 1812 is busy
> because freeradius is using it!

  Yes.

  Can you point me to  the documentation which suggests doing what you did?

  *None* of the documentation says that.  It *all* says "start th server in debug mode, and then use radclient to send it packets".

  I have no idea why you think it's important to start it in debug mode, stop it, start it in daemon mode, and then try a second debug mode.