ERROR: User-Name ... is not the same as MS-CHAP Name

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Fri Oct 2 14:21:36 CEST 2015

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 21:31:24 -0400
Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2015, at 8:25 PM, Jim Seymour <jseymour at LinxNet.com> wrote:
> > FreeRADIUS version 2.1.12 (2.1.12+dfsg-1.2ubuntu8.1)
>
>   That's 5 years old.

Yikes!  I did not realize that.  Jeez, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS was released
only early last year, and 14.04.3 on Aug. 6 of this year.

> > ...  Then ran into the dreaded
> >
> >    Info: [mschap] ERROR: User-Name (hostname\username) is not the
> >      same as MS-CHAP Name (username) from EAP-MSCHAPv2
>
>   Upgrade to 2.2.9, which was released this week.

Very well.  Thanks!

> > Searching and searching: I finally ran across a Red Hat bug report
> > thread where RH claimed "It's a bug, it's been patched" and they
> > closed it.
> >
> > So: *Was* it a bug and *has* it been squashed?  I have no problem
> > building and installing from a tarball, *if* it will fix the
> > problem.
>
>   Yes.

Great!

I only wish I hadn't made Bad Assumptions and messed-around for half
the day, yesterday, assuming it was my config.  My own fault.  Next time
I'll pay closer attention to what -XXX' output is telling me and
search a little harder.

Thanks for the fast follow-up, Alan.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is