"WARNING: !! EAP session for state ... did not finish!", And Other Warnings

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Fri Oct 2 18:02:23 CEST 2015

Hi All,

FreeRADIUS v2.2.9

So I successfully upgraded to 2.2.9, via the Launchpad.  (Thanks,
Fajar!)  Now the test MS-Win7 Pro laptop complains that it can't
connect, but does, anyway.

Windows. Go figure.

Running the service with -X, I see:

    WARNING: !! EAP session for state ... did not finish!

Now the Wiki claims this is because of certificate problems.  But if
that's so: Why have I never experienced this with the exact same
clients with FreeRADIUS 1.1.1 and certs generated the exact same way?

Found this:

    http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2011-October/056497.html

But no clue what "the cause was an MTU issue."  The only mention on the
Wiki page is a cryptic "Consider to decreasing the tunnel MTU" with no
clue as to how that might be accomplished.  Searching on the question
results in "You don't."

Saw a suggestion from Alan DeKok to set the fragment size in eap.conf.
Uncommented "fragment_size = 1024".  Didn't change anything.

I'm also seeing...

Twice:

    [pap] WARNING! No "known good" password found for the user.
          Authentication may fail because of this .

Once:

    WARNING: Empty post-auth section.  Using default return values.

Wasn't able to find anything helpful for those, either.

Thanks,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is