"WARNING: !! EAP session for state ... did not finish!", And Other Warnings

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Oct 3 03:38:58 CEST 2015

On Oct 2, 2015, at 8:58 PM, Jim Seymour <jseymour at LinxNet.com> wrote:
> Now I *know* I never had to do that before.  In fact: The certs on my
> existing server expired just a month ago or so and I had to generate
> new ones...  Just double-checked: The FreeRADIUS on current production
> server is using the same self-signed certs as everything else on that
> server.

  And... how did you create the self-signed certs?

> My confusion increases.  How is it I've been running everything from
> MS-Win95 through MS-Win7 on my existing network, using FreeRadius
> 1.1.1, and plain old self-signed server certs, w/o any special OIDs,
> all these years?  And never installing CA certs (which eventually
> expire) on all the PCs?

  No idea.  It's Windows.

> Help me to understand, please?  Is this a result of some change
> between 1.1.x and 2.x.x?

  No.  The OIDs are required by Windows, not by FreeRADIUS.

> Is this how you add those OIDs:
>
>    http://.../tutorial_radiusserver.html

  No, no, no, and no.

  I have *zero* clue how people find random third-party web sites from nearly a decade ago, and cannot find the documentation that ships with the server.

  The method to create certs is documented in raddb/certs/ .  It's been there since before that crappy page was written.

  PLEASE read the documentation that we've written.  Pretty much everything else is old, broken, crappy, and lying to you.