Mikrotik Winbox WEBcfg Error

Herwin Weststrate herwin at quarantainenet.nl
Tue Oct 27 15:12:15 CET 2015

On 27-10-15 15:00, Alessandro Daudt wrote:
> Hi,  when I log with telnet in mikrotik (PAP) the connection works, but in winbox (CHAP) and WEBCFG (MSCHAP)i get this error
>
> [mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create LM-Password.
> [mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create NT-Password.
> [mschap] Creating challenge hash with username: alessandro
> [mschap] Told to do MS-CHAPv2 for alessandro with NT-Password
> [mschap] FAILED: No NT/LM-Password.  Cannot perform authentication.

It think these messages are pretty clear: you probably have hashed the
passwords in some way that is incompatible with mschapv2 and chap.

There is compatibility matrix on
http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html, as
you can see you'll need the password in plain text to get chap working,
mschapv2 does only work with plain passwords or nt hashes.

--
Herwin Weststrate