3.0.10 fails to start (OpenSuse 13.2)

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Oct 28 20:59:10 CET 2015

> On 28 Oct 2015, at 12:49, Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> wrote:
>
> Stefan Paetow wrote:
>>> Because it would be unnecessary bloat in cross-version .spec files.
>>
>> Oh dear. It's the end of the world that! I'd rather have a .spec file that
>> properly manages dependencies than install something only for it to blow
>> up because someone didn't specify the dependencies properly :-)

I'm not sure spec file bloat is a valid reason anyway.

It would be fairly easy to query the version of the OpenSSL rpm used on the
build system, and use version components from that to set the correct version
for the dependency.

It would also protect users from accidentally installing a newer OpenSSL
RPM from a none Suse source, and breaking their RADIUS server.

There are good, valid, proven reasons for having such strict dependencies.

If you build FreeRADIUS with OpenSSL 1.0.1 and try to use it with OpenSSL 1.0.2
it will not work correctly with rlm_eap.

If you build FreeRADIUS with OpenSSL 1.0.0 and use it with OpenSSL >= 1.0.1
authentication will appear to succeed, but the MPPE keys will be calculated
incorrectly.

The nature of the protocols that FreeRADIUS is implementing requires tight
integration with whatever OpenSSL library.

The RPM dependencies should reflect this.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team