Proxied Access-Challenge requests are missing AVPs

Leonardo Arena rnalrd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 10:20:50 CEST 2015

On gio, 2015-09-10 at 18:47 +0100, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> > On 10 Sep 2015, at 15:57, Leonardo Arena <rnalrd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I have a FreeRADIUS 3.0.3 proxy which forward all Cisco WAPs
> > Wireless-802.11 authentication requests to a Windows NPS server. Clients
> > use PEAP to authenticate.
> >
> > What I'm seeing is that the Access-Challenge from the NPS is forwarded
> > without any AVPs, and of course the WAP silently drops it.
> >
> > Please find below the debug output and the relevant configuration files
> > attached.
> >
> > Couldn't find really anything helpful in the ML archive.
> >
> > Could you please give me any suggestion of what could be wrong?
>
> Weird, unless you list a filter module in post-proxy the response should be forwarded.  You're using a very out of date version of v3.0.x though, try 3.0.9 and see if you still see the same issue.

I'm using default attr-filter module (see below) and AFAICS it's used
only by inner-tunnel, and I don't have any post-proxy file.

I'll give a shot with 3.0.9 although with 3.0.4 clients.conf changed
syntax IIRC and that's why we stick with 3.0.3. Upgrading clients.conf
in 200+ installations does not look an attractive option. :)

Thanks!

- leo

/etc/raddb/mods-enabled# cat attr_filter
# -*- text -*-
#
#  $Id: 1caff077b2429c948a04777fcd619be901ac83dc $

#
#  This file defines a number of instances of the "attr_filter" module.
#

# attr_filter - filters the attributes received in replies from
# proxied servers, to make sure we send back to our RADIUS client
# only allowed attributes.
attr_filter attr_filter.post-proxy {
	key = "%{Realm}"
	filename = ${modconfdir}/${.:name}/post-proxy
}

# attr_filter - filters the attributes in the packets we send to
# the RADIUS home servers.
attr_filter attr_filter.pre-proxy {
	key = "%{Realm}"
	filename = ${modconfdir}/${.:name}/pre-proxy
}

# Enforce RFC requirements on the contents of Access-Reject
# packets.  See the comments at the top of the file for
# more details.
#
attr_filter attr_filter.access_reject {
	key = "%{User-Name}"
	filename = ${modconfdir}/${.:name}/access_reject
}

# Enforce RFC requirements on the contents of Access-Challenge
# packets.  See the comments at the top of the file for
# more details.
#
attr_filter attr_filter.access_challenge {
	key = "%{User-Name}"
	filename = ${modconfdir}/${.:name}/access_challenge
}

#  Enforce RFC requirements on the contents of the
#  Accounting-Response packets.  See the comments at the
#  top of the file for more details.
#
attr_filter attr_filter.accounting_response {
	key = "%{User-Name}"
	filename = ${modconfdir}/${.:name}/accounting_response