problem solved: "Couldn't connect socket to PostgreSQL server"

Kurt Weiß radius at kwnet.at
Fri Sep 18 11:43:38 CEST 2015

Hi Community.

I spent about two hours to figure out following problem:
although my configuration was correct, freeradius didn't connect with my
postgres database.

following error was logged:

Info: rlm_sql (sql): Attempting to connect to radius at 127.0.0.1:5432/radius
Info: rlm_sql (sql): Attempting to connect rlm_sql_postgresql #0
Error: rlm_sql_postgresql: Couldn't connect socket to PostgreSQL server
radius at 127.0.0.1:radius
Error: rlm_sql (sql): Failed to connect DB handle #0

after searching for (not existent) configuration failures i looked into
the postgres log. (wow, what for an idea!)
There was an entry:

CEST LOG:  could not accept SSL connection: EOF detected

Postgres was configured to work over SSL.
Freeradius does not seem to support Postgres over SSL.

I deactivated SSL in Postgres and the freeradius server connected.

Because no such info seems to exist in Internet, i decided to write it
into this list.

greetings...