Testing Certificates

Lightfoot, Maurice P. m.p.lightfoot at spartans.nsu.edu
Wed Sep 30 20:54:52 CEST 2015

> I am having trouble testing if the certificates created are actually working.

-  What does that mean?

     I have installed and configured the freeradius server v3 on a centOS 7, using the beginners guide.  On the same machine I have created users and a client.  I read Chapter 6.4.1 of the, "The FreeRADIUS Implementation Guide" on Certificate Creation.  I created a Root Certificate, a Server Certificate, and a Client Certificate.  I was trying to test if the certificate worked properly. So I installed JRadiusSimulator to test if the certificate; thus leading me to the below issue:

> There is also a Keys tab on the JRadiusSimulator to input the client certificate and root certificate.  When I put the wrong or right path and password for the certificates I still get an access-accept from the debugger.

 - I have no idea what that means.

  -Perhaps you could run the server in debugging mode as suggested in the FAQ, "man" page, web pages, and daily on this list.

     The GUI for the JRadiusSimulator has a tab to input the path of the certificates created.  I was under the assumption that if I were to put in the wrong path of the certificate, the debugger would send an access-reject.  However the debugger still gave an output of access-accept.

> My question is how do I test the certificates created with RADIUS.

  -http://deployingradius.com/

     May be a dumb question but do I need to do EAP Authentication?
My professor just wanted me to set up a freeradius server and try to test on the same machine, if you could create a new certificate and delete the default certificate. Then test that the newly created certificates to see if they work.

Thank you for all your help,

Maurice
> I am having trouble testing if the certificates created are actually working.

  What does that mean?

> There is also a Keys tab on the JRadiusSimulator to input the client certificate and root certificate.  When I put the wrong or right path and password for the certificates I still get an access-accept from the debugger.

  I have no idea what that means.

  Perhaps you could run the server in debugging mode as suggested in the FAQ, "man" page, web pages, and daily on this list.

> My question is how do I test the certificates created with RADIUS.

  http://deployingradius.com/

  There are detailed instructions.

  Alan DeKok.

-