Session resumptions importance.

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Apr 13 19:03:31 CEST 2016

> On Apr 13, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Anirudh Malhotra <8zero2ops at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ok thanks anyways :)
>
> Just a small question.. If it is a feasible one to answer. How many concurrent users can freeradius handle

Several million if they never re-authenticate...

You're measuring the wrong thing.  You need to figure out what the rate of authentications are going to be and then test the server to figure out if it'll meet that.

The rate of authentications does roughly correlate with the number of concurrent sessions, but is *HIGHLY* dependent on your environment.  If you're a university you'll likely see massive peaks and troughs in auth rates that coincide with lectures starting/ending.

If you're enterprise you might see peaks around 9:00am and then hardly anything the rest of the day.

Media matters, if it's wireless you'll have phones roaming between APs.  Wireless equipment matters, can the controller handle roaming between APs without forcing full re-authentication.

Then there are other factors, what CPU are you using, does it have instructions available to accelerate AES and RSA calculations.  What type of certificates are you using? EC is less expensive than RSA.

It's better just to create your own benchmarking solution and compare the results, there's no way we can give meaningful estimations given hardware specs, there are too many other variables.

-Arran